HKB Justöen, also known as Birkenstrasse, was a coastal fortress built by the German army during the occupation of Norway during world war 2. The building commenced in 1941 but even though it soon became operational, it was never completely finished before the surrender of Nazi Germany in may 1945. The fortress was equipped with 4 x 10.5cm K332 (f) French field cannons with a range of approx. 16000 meters. The fortress was spread out over a large area with a multitude of smaller machine gun positions, flame throwers, mortar positions as well as being completely surrounded by a barbed wire blockade and a mine field.
The main command bunker was a Regalbau R636, a fairly common type in Norway. Underneath the command bunker, linking all the cannon positions was a fairly elaborate system of underground tunnels with a number of rooms for ammunition storage, shelter for the gun crews etc.
There was a total of 67 soldiers manning this fortress, of which there was 2 officers and 13 NCOs.
Some time after the war, the site has been used as a camping ground, but this was no longer operational.
Old command post
View over the command bunker from the old command post
The commandbunker, a R636, from behind.
R636 from the front
Entrance to small room with a embrasure overlooking the entrance too the command bunker, for close defence.
Inside the computing room of the command bunker with a door leading outside, and embrasure covering the entrance to the bunker and a door into the radio room.
Exit from the computing room, leading into the observation room
Emergency exit from command bunker
Wire box. Probably for connecting up phone lines etc.
Stairway up from the extensive underground tunnel system.
Room in the underground bunker.
Room in the underground bunker. The bevelled roof could indicate that this part of the tunnel system wasn’t originally underground, but was built and filled over.
Room in the underground bunker. The slit in the middle of the floor was probably for drainage or for electric cables.
Exit from shelter
Exit from shelter
Harbour. Not sure wheather this was built at the same time as the fortress, or was built for the camping site.
Probably used to be a garage. Afterwards ysed as a swimmingpool for the camping site which used to be here.
Foundations for some sort of building
Entrance to mortar position
Entrance to close combat defensive position
Cannon position #3. For 10,5 cm K332 (f) cannon
Cannon position for 10,5 cm K332 (f) cannon
One of 4 smaller rooms cut into the mountainside along the road leading out of the area